Notre Dame Catholic High School was founded in 1955 by the Most Reverend Lawrence Sheehan,
who declared it was his belief that
"The future of our country depends on our youth.
To provide them with sound religious and moral training is a major concern of all of us."
The school, built on Park Avenue in Fairfield, Connecticut, was a co-institution staffed by the Sisters of
Notre Dame de Namur, the Holy Cross Fathers, Diocesan clergy and several lay men and women.
In 1956, the first classes of Notre Dame were held at Our Lady of Assumption School in Fairfield
while the building was being completed. It opened in September of 1957 with a freshmen
and sophomore class of 1,000 students.
In 1964, the school and property of Notre Dame became Sacred Heart University. Two new high schools
were established: Notre Dame Girls' in Bridgeport and Notre Dame Boys' in Fairfield. The schools
continued to be staffed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur at the girls' school, the Holy Cross
Fathers at the boys school, and an increasing number of laity.
In 1973, the two schools were merged into the present Notre Dame Catholic High School, a co-educational
institution open to all levels of academic ability and religious background.